Wednesday, October 14, 2009

"Going Back" Abstract



One of the most confusing aspects of integrating your grief, or as some delude themseves into believing: "getting over it," is how to do it with the least amount of trauma to your family or new relationships.

When I first started talking on the phone with Paul, at the beginnning of our relationship, I told him that Rob's family would always be weaved into our lives: weekly phone calls, yearly visits, pictures on the wall -- that sort of thing.

"I know you had a history before I came along -- I did to," he says. He always makes sure that Rob is not forgotten and that he doesn't replace Rob -- only adds to the love we have for the children.

Despite this assurance I always wonder if my remembering rob aloud or having a day where I'm pensive and miss him causes hurt feeling for Paul. Is it possible, perhaps, that Paul feels badly when I talk about Rob even though he says differently?

This affects how I grieve and -- truthfully -- stunts my process. How can I let go and feel sad when Paul is there feeling second fiddle, or trying to make me feel better? And so for a long time I felt shame for grieving.

The writing of this book was a highway of mixed emotions -- swerving around each other, passing on the right and unexpected traffic jams.

My essay, "Going Back," addresses the fears of messing with your new partner's heart while you're still grieving your old one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Read,enjoyed !
Did you write a book or is there one in progress ?
second fiddle?I feel that is your inner circle dealing with the pain too!
It's hard to hear I'm sure there is a bit of jealousy? I would be jealous or feel like second best to such a love lost..
You are a beauty and a joy to know Thank you for sharing such an intimate moment in your life.
Much love your way!

Anonymous said...

I think you are so incredibly brave and strong to share such intimate and genuine emotions regarding your loss. I feel so fortunate to have met you, and share in your process. I hope I never have to go through what you have been through, but I know if it ever happened to me, I would cling to your words for support that I might not be able to find elsewhere. I know there are a lot of people out there who would benefit from your pen on paper, and my proverbial hat's off to you for being so incredibly generous with something so personal.

Valerie Willman said...

Thank you both for the comments.
Tamara, I'd love to connect with you some more ... one or two visits wasn't enough. :)
And Anonymous, it seems like you might know me? Who are you? I did write a book; I'm writing the proposal for it now. Of course, the book is still in constant edit, it seems. :)

Valerie